Still not happy with the speed of your boot in 9.10?
Well then try out the new stuff we will be pushing into Lucid by enabling the ubuntu-boot PPA. It’s really easy, and if your system has a hard disk (not solid state drive or SSD), then you will see tremendous improvements. The updates include a new kernel and replaces sreadahead with our own homegrown, superfast ureadahead. To install these updates, follow these simple steps:
- Open the “Software Sources” under System->Administration.
- Select the “Other Software” tab.
- Click the “Add…” button in the lower left-hand
- Type “ppa:ubuntu-boot” and hit the “Add Source”
- Allow the system to refresh the sources
- Run “Update Manager” under System->Administration
That’s it! It will install the new kernel and replace sreadahead with ureadahead. You’ll need to reboot twice to see the benefits. The first reboot allows ureadahead to profile your boot so it can do its magic. If you have any issues or questions join the Launchpad Ubuntu-boot team and post to the mailing list.